Advantages City Life Essay
City living in 21st century is stressful and offers no advantages, to what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
IELTS Sample essay – City living in 21st century is stressful and offers no advantage
Living in large cities can be quite stressful especially in the 21st century. Cities can get over crowded, polluted and lack green spaces. This is largely due to increasing population of cities all over the world. There could be some advantages of living in cities particularly if the countryside lacks infrastructure and economic opportunities. People usually move to urban areas to find jobs and access better facilities.
Nowadays that has changed significantly, as more and more people settle there is a tremendous burden on the fragile transport systems, public utilities and housing. In some cities of Asia like Ho chi minh, Mumbai and Manila the quality of life is worse than smaller towns and villages. The level of air pollution in Chinese cities is causing health problems for the people. It has become very stressful to live in a large city. The benefits have eroded and there is less comfort. It is more of a struggle than an advantage. This scenario is true in not just the third world but also in the first world. It is not very different in New York city or London.
There are other problems for city residents as well. Urban crime is on the rise, the safety of city dwellers is at a risk. There is widespread urban poverty due to unemployment and migration. If city living is compared to rural life, the later would seem extremely attractive. That is because many villages and small towns offer good environment, peaceful neighborhoods and good basic facilities although there may not be high paying jobs.
Overall, the benefits of living away from cities outweighs those of living in large cities.
How to write on this topic?
Worksheet for IELTS essay
Topic- City living in 21st century is stressful and offers no advantages, to what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Is living in a city stressful? Why or why not?
You could answer this question with a yes it is stressful or no it isn’t. Give reasons.
Some sample reasons are
– Bad infrastructure – bad roads, power cuts and lack of public services
– too many people living in cities, so there are traffic jams and a lot of time is spent going from one place to another.
– cost of living is high
-give some examples from your own experience
Are there any advantages of city living?
– Plenty of work opportunities (jobs)
– Access to better facilities
– Better paying jobs
– give some examples of your own
Are there more problems than advantages?
– State your position – you could say there are more disadvantages or advantages.
– compare the problems with benefits
Use “although, even though” to highlight problems and benefits.
How to conclude?
Write your conclusion with a statement which uses superlative or other strong phrases to highlight your opinion.
Posted in Writing skills
A city enjoys a position of pride for its rich amenities which are necessary for the modern way of life. A city life has its own glamour which attracts people from underdeveloped areas.
City life always lures the people of all classes for is comforts and for its cultural, economic and commercial facilities.
The advantages city life are mentioned below in points.
- A city has metalled roads with bus or train services for easy travelling.
- It supplies potable water through a network of pipelines and electricity to its residents.
- There is a sewerage system of drainage of waste water.
- There is an authority to look to the sanitation.
- There is normally a health centre with qualified doctors to attend to the ailing people.
- There are educational and possibly vocational institutions with facility for use of library.
- A city is normally a commercial centre.
The disadvantages of city life are mentioned below in points.
- Because of the surge in urban population, cities are now extremely congested,
- There has been multiplicity of motorized vehicles in city roads causing lots of traffic problems,
- City life is now spoiled by pollution – air, noise and water pollution.
- Sanitation is often neglected.
- Garbage piles up on roads.
- Dirty drains becomes the breeding grounds of mosquitoes.
Conclusion: Nowadays, rural development programs have been taken up in right earnest, yet the advantages of a modern city are far greater than those of the rural areas.